Okay now, 'Intelligent design' is just theological speculation. As one blogger has pointed out once you start teaching 'Intelligent design ' in the classroom, then you need to also make fair time for:
- The blood of the monster Tiamat's husband, Kinqu,slain by Marduk created life on earth (the earth itself being created by the remains of Tiamat).
- The earth, sky, and all life on the planet came from the egg of the god Pangu and the god himself.
- Esaugetuh Emissee created mankind from clay on a hill
- The universe is governed by Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva, with Brahma being the creator
- Odin and his brothers used Ymir's body to create the universe."
- The ejection of fuel from a damaged engine on the spacecraft Terminus created the universe .
One could go on and on. For example in Buddhist Cosmology you have myriad worlds and world systems. In something akin to the Big bang there are periods when whole universes are created, evolve and then there is dissolution, decay, and whole universes disappear into emptiness.
But to be so sloppy about what is science and what is religious cosmology is quite moronic. Even in science or astronomical cosmology , it doesn't deny there could be a creator God, but it is something outside the perview of science.
'Intelligent design', is taken seriously by scarcely any scientific experts. It proposes that the natural world is too complex to have been created by entirely natural processes, so there must be a designer of some kind. As to how the designer acts, or how scientists could study those actions, it has no answers. Intelligent design explains nothing and predicts nothing; it isn't even a theory.
You can't ask high school physics teachers to teach 'Intelligient design ' because there is no science involved. Be clear if you want to ask for a Christian Fundamentalist cosmology class to be taught in schools, be up front about what you are asking for. It really shows that it is just a intellectually dishonest way of trying to get Christian Cosmology taught in schools. The voices of unreason do get loud at time. I hope all the science departments in the country get a bit het up about this.